Can Do Canines trains Mobility Assist Dogs to help people with physical disabilities. While the needs of each client can vary, mobility service dogs are trained to provide support by:
- opening and closing doors
- picking up and retrieving dropped objects
- activating push plates
- bringing cane or walker within reach
- carrying small objects up/down stairs
- turning light switches on or off
- retrieving a cordless phone or cell phone
Some Mobility Assist Dogs can also act as Diabetes, Hearing or Seizure Assist Dogs in addition to their mobility tasks!
General Criteria for Mobility Assist Dog Applicants:
- Must be a resident of Minnesota or Wisconsin
- Must have a physical disability, debilitating chronic illness, or neurological disorder and can provide proof of diagnosis
- Must be physically and financially able to take full responsibility for the dog after certification
- Must be at least 10 years old
Click on the image below to watch a video about our Mobility Assist Teams.