- Executive Director – Jeff Johnson – ext. 116
- Development Director – Sheila Ross – ext. 182
- Senior Development Officer – Janet Cobus – ext. 153
- Development and Communication Associate – (open)
- Development Assistant – Kathy Broten – ext. 152
- Donor Relations Officer – Dorothy Grinolds – ext. 154
- Event Producer – Melissa Herman – ext. 115
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATION
- Marketing and Communication Manager – Caren Hansen – ext. 161
- Graphic Designer and Marketing Specialist – Robyn R.
- Director of Operations – Luke Matusovic – ext. 158
- Administrative Assistant/Receptionist – Jodi Elkins – ext. 114
- Technology Manager – Peter Tatikian
- Community Outreach Coordinator – Laurie Carlson – ext. 113
- Volunteer Coordinator – Christine Popp
- Facility Caretaker – Aeron Foote
- Director of Training – Julianne Larsen – ext. 117
- Prison Program Coordinator - Dyan Larson
- Prison Program Coordinator - Jen Severud
- Breeding Coordinator – Karin Balgaard
- Veterinary Technician – Hannah McCarthy
- Canine Nursery Attendant - Jodi A.
- Canine Nursery Attendant - Sarah G.
- Training Manager – Shenna Lemche
- Lead Program Trainer – Emily H.
- Program Trainer – Christina H.
- Program Trainer – Stacy S.
- Puppy Program Instructor – Josie S.
- Puppy Program Instructor – Lindy L.
- Puppy Program Assistant – Lindsey K.
- Client Services Manager – Denise Yokom – ext. 122
- Client Services Assistant – Cari Bishop – ext. 157
- Graduate Services Coordinator – Elizabeth R.
- Client Services Coordinator – Alaina B.
- Client Services Coordinator – Jennifer G.
- Client Services Coordinator – Jenny B.
- Kennel Manager – Katie Rickert
- Assistant Kennel Manager – Sam Q.
- Kennel Staff – Brianna H.
- Kennel Staff – Elsa W.
- Kennel Staff – Jennifer W.
- Kennel Staff – Lauren H.
- Kennel Staff – Laurie S.
- Kennel Staff – Leah S.
- Kennel Staff – Pete G.
- Kennel Staff – Rosangela S.
Executive Director – Jeff Johnson
Jeff began his career at Can Do Canines in 2020. He is a former Hennepin County Commissioner and state representative and is an employment attorney, formerly practicing at Cargill and at law firms in Minneapolis and Chicago. He founded Midwest Employment Resources, a firm providing training and investigation services to employers, and NorthStar Neighbor, a nonprofit organization matching volunteers with seniors and others in need of help during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Jeff is the author of Boy Lessons: What I’ve Learned From my Sons and spent many years speaking throughout the country on management and human resources topics.
He graduated from Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota, and Georgetown Law School in Washington, D.C. Jeff and his wife, Sondi, live in Plymouth with their sons, Thor and Rolf, and their English bulldog, Frosty.
Founder – Alan M. Peters
Alan M. Peters founded Can Do Canines in 1987 and served as executive director of the organization until retiring at the end of 2020. Under his leadership, the organization grew from an interesting idea to an industry-leading organization with 40 staff members.
Organizational achievements during his leadership:
- Purchased and rebuilt a 25,000-square-foot, four-acre commercial property creating a permanent home for the organization, including kennels for a maximum of 50 dogs.
- Completed a $4.4 million dollar capital campaign to pay for the project, creating a debt-free organization. The campaign included negotiating a $1 million dollar+ lead gift.
- Qualified and maintained Can Do Canines as a fully accredited member of our trade association, Assistance Dogs International, beginning in 2007.
- Awards to Can Do Canines under his leadership: Minnesota Council of Nonprofits—1992, the Minnesota State Council on Disability—1992, the Minnesota Corrections Association—2009, The Arc of Minnesota—2008, and the Commission of Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing Minnesotans—2009.
Can Do Canines Board of Directors
- Ross Thorfinnson, President
- Judy Sharken Simon, Vice President
- Kathryn Hoy, Treasurer
- Scott Thomas-Forss, Secretary
- Mitch Peterson
- Rebeca Sharpe
- Matt Woods