It’s official—you are part of the pack! We’ve outlined the next steps on your journey to raising and training an assistance dog.
Complete and Submit Online Forms
To begin, we ask that you complete the required waivers and agreements. Can Do Canines does need to receive your completed paperwork before you can take home a puppy or dog.
Forms can be completed online by visiting the two links below.
Access the Puppy Program Portal
All of our training materials, program standards, request forms, and relevant updates are found on our Puppy Program Portal. This portal is password protected by Memberspace. You will be prompted to create an account when you visit the portal. A staff member will approve your request within 2 business days.
A great first page to explore when you gain access to the site is our Program Standards page.
Below is a screenshot of the login/account creation page.
Register to Observe a Few Training Classes
Step 1—Open your internet browser and go to www.myvolunteerpage.com. You may want to bookmark this page so you can find it easily in the future. This will take you to the login page. Enter the username and password you created.
Step 2—Once logged in, click on the Opportunities tab at the top of your screen.
- Click on Opportunities Calendar
- Under Category Select Puppy Program—Group Classes. View calendar and click on the class that you would like to attend (i.e. Level 1, Level 2, etc.). This will bring you to a description of the opportunity. Please sign up to observe Group Classes Only - Seminars, Outings, and One-On-One's are reserved for volunteers who have a program dog assigned to them.
- To be added to the schedule, click on the Sign Up button in the lower right.
Step 3—View Schedule
- To view the days you are on the schedule, click on the Schedule tab at the top of your profile. The date you chose on the previous screen should show up here. If it does not, try adjusting the date range at the top of the screen.
- If you need to take yourself off the schedule for a class, click the Remove button next to the listed class.
Foster a Dog from Our Kennel
We would like your first foster experience to be with a dog from our kennel if possible. The dogs in the kennel are in for final training, which means they are now focusing on behaviors and skills needed to be placed with a client. These dogs are over a year old and have a strong obedience foundation. The kennel is located at the Can Do Canines facility. Pick-up of a kennel dog is available on Friday between the hours of 8 a.m.-4 p.m. The dog should return on Monday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Program staff will reach out to you to schedule your first-time foster.
When you foster, you will be given information specific to each dog. While we are able to provide some supplies needed while you are fostering, you will want to purchase stainless steel food/water bowls, a 42" crate (wire or plastic), and toys. We recommend a non-edible Nylabone (large or giant size) and a red Kong, size large. Please download the Supplies List for more detail.
Check your Spam filters.
We send out emails to communicate opportunities and program updates.