Become part of the Can Do Canines pack! Can Do Canines is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for people with disabilities by creating mutually beneficial partnerships with specially trained dogs. The dogs are provided to the client at no charge. The organization is supported primarily by donations from individuals, corporations, service clubs, and foundations. We receive no government funding.
Job Summary: Coordinate all volunteer activities for the organization
Salary: Exempt, Salaried.
Excellent benefits! Eligible for Health, Life, Dental Insurance; 403(b); Generous amount of Paid Time Off (PTO)
Hours Required: Minimum 40 Hours per week, including weekend and evening hours
Deadline: Open until filled
Reports to: Director of Training
Positions Supervised: Frequent supervision of volunteers
Frequent Interactions With: Events Coordinator, Puppy Program Department, Marketing & Communication Manager, Development Director, Community Outreach Coordinator
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit new volunteers for Can Do Canines, with special focus on recruiting new puppy program volunteers.*
- Develop and coordinate all volunteer activities.*
- Communicate expectations regarding volunteering to staff and volunteers.*
- Maintain integrity of all volunteer-related information in database, including skills, hours, etc.*
- Create, develop, and maintain volunteer job descriptions and public postings.*
- Create and distribute monthly volunteer newsletter.*
- Review and monitor volunteer expense budget.*
- Plan and implement volunteer orientations, trainings, and recognition events.*
- Maintain uniform appearance of volunteers at events and when required.
- Other duties as assigned.
*Denotes essential functions of this position
Knowledge of, and experience in, volunteer recruitment, development, and retention. Experience in volunteer database maintenance and volunteer coordination for staff and events. These qualifications are typically obtained from three or more years of related experience. This position requires the use of a telephone and computer to perform work, attention to detail, the ability to work with deadlines and without close supervision, and ease with public speaking. A valid driver’s license and insurability are required.
Experience in working with people with disabilities and membership in Minnesota Association of Volunteer Administration (MAVA) are preferred. Better Impact and Salesforce experience highly preferred.
Last but not least, you must love dogs. Even if you don’t have one or more of your own, you should genuinely enjoy our canine companions, along with their wet kisses, occasional vocalizations throughout the facility, and hair that will accessorize your clothes.
Associates Degree in related field and three or more years of related experience; or Bachelor’s degree and two or more years of related work experience; or five or more years of related experience; or some reasonable variation of the above.
How to Apply
Please email your COVER LETTER (required) and RESUME to email@example.com.
In the subject line list: Your last name, your first name; Volunteer Coordinator
Phone calls and video resumes will not be accepted.
Expected Working Conditions** for This Position Frequency
1. Exposure to dog and cat dander: Daily
2. Exposure to dog and cat feces: Never
3. Work directly with dogs: Occasionally
4. Exposure to cleaning chemicals: Rarely
5. Use cleaning tools: mops, brooms, floor “Zamboni”, floor buffer, vacuum cleaner, etc.: Never
6. Work outdoors: Rarely
7. Work in public environment, sometimes in retail: Regularly
8. Work in prison environment: Never
9. Work in office environment: Daily
10. Perform work using a computer: Daily
11. Heavy lifting, up to 30 pounds: Regularly
12. Heavy lifting, 30 pounds or more: Rarely
13. Stoop, crawl, kneel, rise from a prone or kneeling position: Rarely
14. Sit for long periods of time: Daily
15. Stand for long periods of time: Frequently
16. Work in small or cramped spaces: Rarely
17. Perform work using a telephone: Daily
18. Work with clients: Regularly
19. Work with parties external to the organization: Frequently
20. Work with volunteers: Daily
21. Drive organizational vehicles: Occasionally
22. Handle checks, cash, credit card transactions: Regularly
23. Public Speaking: Frequently
Working Conditions Guidelines
Daily = Daily
Frequently = Weekly
Regularly = Monthly
Occasionally = Quarterly to Bi-Annually
Rarely = Annually
Never = Never
**Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (the "ADA") requires an employer to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment, unless to do so would cause undue hardship. "In general, an accommodation is any change in the work environment or in the way things are customarily done that enables an individual with a disability to enjoy equal employment opportunities."