Become part of the Can Do Canines pack! Can Do Canines is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for people with disabilities by creating mutually beneficial partnerships with specially trained dogs. The dogs are provided to the client at no charge. The organization is supported primarily by donations from individuals, corporations, service clubs, and foundations. We receive no government funding.
Job Summary: Plan, structure, and implement the annual fund programs to reach the ongoing funding needs of the organization, including analyzing and interpreting data to ensure the success of fundraising projects.
Salary: Exempt, Salaried, $48,000-$50,000. Eligible for Health and Dental Insurance, 403(b), Paid Time Off (PTO)
Hours Required: Minimum 40 Hours per week, including weekend and evening hours. We value work-life balance for our employees, however, so we’ll make sure you are staying healthy.
Deadline: Open until filled
Reports to: Development Director
Positions Supervised: None
Frequent Interactions With: Development Director, Development Assistant, Event Producer, Marketing & Communication Manager, Graphic Designer & Marketing Specialist, Dog Program Team, and Volunteer Coordinator.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Development Associate is part of the Development team in fulfilling its purpose to increase private giving, and engage our donors. This position creates and implements the Annual Fund campaigns to track and report on fundraising goals. This role will collaborate with the Dog Program Team, Marketing, and the Volunteer Coordinator to align data across teams.
This position is responsible for data structure, data retrieval, report customization and analysis, and data entry quality control.
Annual Fund Activities - 40%
- Experience in crafting donor appeals. Serve as lead in appeal concept and content creation of direct marketing strategies for a multi-channel and donor-centric communication strategy that engages constituents throughout the annual giving cycle, including: *
a) Direct Mail Campaigns b) Social Media Campaigns c) Donor acquisition and cultivation strategies d) Email & Online Giving Campaigns (Give to the Max Day) e) Monthly giving campaigns f) Workplace Giving Program
- With Development Director, build targeted audience lists for Direct Marketing solicitations. Pull lists, import data, and create codes in DonorPerfect for gift tracking. Work with Development Assistant to ensure accurate coding, and share results with teams on solicit performance as requested.
- Creates and implements Annual Giving Plan and works closely with internal and external partners.*
Implementation includes audience determination, data segmentation, and management; content creation and project approval; testing and deployment; tracking and analysis of direct marketing results.
- Serves as the technical expert, analytics point person, and project manager for Annual Giving communications (print mail, email, digital campaigns).
- Manipulates donor data to prepare sophisticated segmentation of outreach, ensuring a high degree of personalization while maintaining data integrity.
- Manage an interactive Can Do Canines client giving campaign and promote/manage our Name a Puppy fundraising program.*
- Other duties as assigned.
Donor Perfect Data Management - 40%
- Analyze and interpret data to develop strategy and ensure success of fundraising programs/projects and enhance reach to all constituents; track and measure returns on investment.*
- Maintain the overall quality and integrity of the DonorPerfect database, including troubleshooting and staying current with updates to the system.*
- Manage input and extraction of data in the database. Run reports regularly or upon request.
- Track annual fundraising targets and run comparative reports on donor performance.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly revenue reports, weekly report recaps, and reports for the Development Director and Board of Directors.
- Generate various mailing lists for the Development staff and other staff.
- Develop progress dashboards and data visualizations in DonorPerfect for the development team.
Portfolios & Relationship Management Support – 20%
- Review and update donor portfolios and work with the development team to manage coding to track and report on gift solicitations and stewardship activities in DonorPerfect.
- Develop a system for new prospect management.
- Data management and segmentation - run insight reports on donor demographics and wealth analytics for marketing segmentation or cultivation around affinity groups (Legacy Club, FreeWill, Monthly Heroes).
*Denotes essential functions of this position.
- Knowledge of and experience in fundraising for a nonprofit organization and developing relationships with donors.
- Advanced experience with CRM’s, DonorPerfect is preferred.
- Exceptionally skilled in writing, especially in a persuasive way to a specific audience.
- Experience with e-marketing platforms, specifically Mailchimp.
- These qualifications are typically obtained by three or more years of related work experience.
- This position requires public speaking, use of a telephone and computer to perform work, and working with strict deadlines.
- The ideal candidate will have organizational skills, be detail-oriented, and able to balance priorities.
- A valid driver’s license and insurability are required.
- Last but not least, you must love dogs. Even if you don’t have one or more of your own, you should genuinely enjoy our canine companions, along with their wet kisses, occasional vocalizations throughout the facility, and hair that will accessorize your clothes.
Associates Degree in related field and five or more years of related experience, or Bachelor’s degree and three or more years of related experience, or seven or more years of related experience, or reasonable variation of the above.
How to Apply
Please email your COVER LETTER (required) and RESUME to email@example.com.
In the subject line list: Your last name, your first name; Development Associate
Phone calls and video resumes will not be accepted.
Expected Working Conditions** for This Position Frequency
1. Exposure to dog and cat dander: Daily
2. Exposure to dog and cat feces: Never
3. Work directly with dogs: Never
4. Exposure to cleaning chemicals: Rarely
5. Use cleaning tools: mops, brooms, floor “Zamboni”, floor buffer, vacuum cleaner, etc.: Never
6. Work outdoors: Rarely
7. Work in public environment, sometimes in retail: Frequently
8. Work in prison environment: Never
9. Work in office environment: Daily
10. Perform work using a computer: Daily
11. Heavy lifting, up to 30 pounds: Occasionally
12. Heavy lifting, 30 pounds or more: Rarely
13. Stoop, crawl, kneel, rise from a prone or kneeling position: Rarely
14. Sit for long periods of time: Daily
15. Stand for long periods of time: Regularly
16. Work in small or cramped spaces: Rarely
17. Perform work using a telephone: Daily
18. Work with clients: Regularly
19. Work with parties external to the organization: Frequently
20. Work with volunteers: Frequently
21. Drive organizational vehicles: Occasionally
22. Handle checks, cash, credit card transactions: Regularly
23. Public Speaking: Regularly
Working Conditions Guidelines
Daily = Daily
Frequently = Weekly
Regularly = Monthly
Occasionally = Quarterly to Bi-Annually
Rarely = Annually
Never = Never
**Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (the "ADA") requires an employer to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment, unless to do so would cause undue hardship. "In general, an accommodation is any change in the work environment or in the way things are customarily done that enables an individual with a disability to enjoy equal employment opportunities."